Welcome to a brief update of my Joint Southwark and Lambeth Mental Health carers forum for August 2021. There was no speaker for that month so I presented on the following being:
The Importance of carer involvement
Plus I also presented on Carer empowerment
Funnily enough the turn out for the joint forum was very good and to be honest I couldnt present for a long while due to carers speaking to each other on how things have been developing for them.
When I presented on carer involvement, I spoke on the following concepts about the importance of carer involvement.
- How Experiences of carers should be valued
- Lessons are learned from carer experiences and applied to services
- Different skill sets are used and acquired from those involved
- Well-being is at the heart of the decision making process of the NHS
There was then a discussion on how can one get involved in their Mental health trust. I raised the following points
- Becoming a member of their trust
- Signing up to an involvement register
- Volunteering your skills outside the register
- Attending Service user or Carer forums that the trust engages with.
Many carers started talking about South London & Maudsley’s new governor votes and wondered what it would be like to be a carer governor.
I then moved on to talking about the types of involvement, the following points I talked about.
Providing your views as a representative at a service improvement meeting or working group.
- Getting involved in the recruitment and selection process of staff.
- Helping inspect trust services for the purposes of audit.
- Co-deliver trust training e.g. training mental health staff
- Speaking at an events – Staff Inductions, awareness days
- Contributing to the development of policies or reviewing information
I spoke about my term as a carer governor for the mental health trust, but it was a long time ago and I do not remember as much as I used to. I mentioned Lambeth’s Clubhouse Moasic were due to attend for this month, but because of the pandemic; things were on hold.
This was the brief update of my Joint Southwark & Lambeth MH carers forum for August 2021.